The best six doctors anywhere, and no one can deny it,
Are sunshine, water, rest, and air, exercise and diet.
These six will gladly you attend, if only you are willing.
Your mind they’ll ease. Your will they’ll mend.
And charge you not a shilling. ~Nursery Rhyme
Many times during the week I am asked the same question: “What do you do that keeps you staying healthy?” Because my son and I are rarely sick, I assume that people are curious if we have a secret protocol to keep us from missing a beat. We do have a protocol but it is far from secret. And it is actually quite simple. Yet in its simplicity, there comes a certain level of commitment by which most people are not willing to abide. And herein lies the secret!
My Secret Protocol for Staying Healthy
On a daily basis, I make sure that I:
- Exercise. One or more of the following: walking, stretching, bike riding or light weightlifting.
- Keep my house/car in order.
- Eat simple meals and snacks of wholesome food–I have eliminated sugar, soda, caffeine, wheat and dairy from my diet. I limit my intake of meat.
- Drink plenty of fresh, filtered water.
- Sleep 6-7 hours at night.
- Learn something new.
- Do something creative/
- Take special care to foster relationships that nourish me and give no energy to those that do not.
- Diffuse the following essential oils on a rotating basis: Abundance, Believe, Clarity, Frankincense, Idaho Balsam Fir, RC, Thieves and Transformation.
- Include the following supplements:
With each change of seasons, I also do a digestive cleanse. I use Young Living’s 5 Day Nutritive Cleanse, but any cleanse should do. And while I do not suggest fasting for children or teens, we do adopt a very simple diet for the duration of the cleanse, so my son benefits from my cleanse as well.
Remember that we nourish ourselves not only with food, but with everything we take into our bodies. Music, books, thoughts, activities, relationships and our environment, all serve to nourish us. We could eat the healthiest of food and use Young Living Essential Oils daily, but if our home life is in chaos, it causes us stress and thereby weakens our immune system. Be mindful of all of the ways you nourish yourself and reduce or eliminate those that do not serve you and you will soon be on the way to staying healthy.